As healthcare practices evolve, we see clinical evidence that honoring patients’ worldviews and utilizing cultural competency in a meaningful way has a direct impact on reducing and potentially eliminating healthcare disparities.
Cultural competence requires awareness of cultural similarities and differences, and encourages respectful, appropriate, and compassionate patient‐centered care.
Organizations that become more culturally competent will not only experience improved productivity, communication, and teamwork; they will see improved patient outcomes. As providers become aware of these outcomes, they see the interconnectedness of diversity, culture, cultural bias, cultural difference, and cultural competency.
The Cultural Competency for Healthcare Professionals eLearning tool is a 90-minute interactive virtual learning experience in which learners demonstrate an understanding of the specific knowledge and skills referred to as cultural competency and apply that knowledge to real-world scenarios.
Course Objectives include:
- Defining the term “Cultural Competency”
- Outlining the evolution of the workplace’s approach to diversity
- Assessing your current degree of cultural competency
- Summarizing the impact of national demographic trends on healthcare
- Listing three ways in which cultural competency can impact the performance of health care organizations
- Identifying workplace practices that may potentially violate regulations, such as the CLAS and Joint Commission standards for cultural competency
- Demonstrating cultural competence to positively impact a clinical encounter
- Analyzing how cultural competency can reduce health disparities